The GTN units have been updated to version 6.62.
(Both GTN simulators for Windows and iPad have been updated to 6.62 as well so you can try out the new functionality right now!
Note: After clicking on Weather in the simulator you get to see an intermediate page with several WX sources – that is not the case in 3WF; it goes straight to the FIS-B weather page.)
This GTN update will provide pilots with the following new features…
- FIS-B WX products now available:
- Cloud tops
- Icing (forecast potential)
- Center WX advisories (CWA)
- Graphical AIRMETs (G-AIRMET) in
- The G5/AP software has also been updated, and the AP works again just fine!
- Garmin just announced the upcoming availability of hardware that will add OAT and TAS to the ADI (the upper G5), and wind direction / speed to the HSI (the lower G5). We’re hoping to get that installed by September 2019…
- Down the road (definitely not in 2019, more like 2020/21, in order to dodge the ongoing ADS-B rush and also to give things time to mature a bit more) we’re contemplating another exciting upgrade to get rid of all remaining mechanical flight and engine instruments since the G3X Touch is now not only available for certified aircraft but also allows the pilot to show the typical glass cockpit or a simulated traditional analog (“sixpack“) configuration – all that along with synthetic vision for more safety in IMC and integrated engine instruments similar to a G1000 PFD. But this project is just a vision at this point, not a plan.